We won, we won! Last night we finally won our softball game. It is incredible how much nicer D and I are when we win. We usually walk from the game to our car talking about how terribly we played, sighing with our brows all scrunched. However, last night we were laughing and lighthearted. One day we’ll grow up, but until that day I hope we keep winning. 🙂
In other news, I have an avocado inspired recipe for you today.
Before moving to CA, I never really ate avocados. But the avocados here have molded me into quite the connoisseur. We rarely go without a few of the guys laying on the counter tops, waiting to be devoured. This recipe was inspired by just that. I had a few that were screaming to be eaten before they took a fateful turn towards the garbage.
With eggs, goat cheese, and avocados, how can you go wrong? You can’t. Start out with this stuff. (spices not pictured)
Start out by chopping 1/2 medium sweet onion. Add that to a heated saute pan with 1 TBSP olive oil. Saute onion until it becomes translucent.
Once your onion is done, turn the heat down, and add about 3 cups of fresh baby spinach, and a pinch of salt. Let it cook until the spinach wilts down. Shouldn’t take more than 1 minute.
It is very important for the end result that you make sure to get all of the extra moisture out of the spinach. One it has wilted, stir the onions and spinach around over medium high heat until all of the moisture has been cooked off. Add 1/2 tsp dried basil, and set aside.
Take 2 1/2 oz goat cheese and tear break into 1/2 in pieces. Then take an avocados and cut into like size chunks.
Now, crack 5 eggs into a bowl, and blend together. I like to whip a lot of air into mine, so that the end result is light and airy.
Now all you have to do is assemble! Take a baking dish and grease liberally. Spread the avocados in the baking dish, followed by the onion/spinach mixture, and finally the goat cheese.
Now salt and pepper. I like to salt and pepper at this point rather than put it into the eggs. I feel like it sticks to the avocados and goat cheese, and therefore is more evenly distributed. Personal pref. 🙂
Just pour the eggs over the goat cheese and pop it in the oven. It should take about 40 minutes, but keep an eye on it. You want it to be brown on the edges, and almost set up in the middle, ya know?
Grate parmesan cheese over the bake and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
Now serve it up and enjoy! 🙂
Avocado Egg Bake
1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
3 cups fresh baby spinach
1 tsp dried basil
2 1/2 oz goat cheese
salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Chop onion and saute over medium high heat. Once translucent, add spinach and salt. Let it wilt for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Once the spinach has wilted, turn the heat back up, and cook the moisture out. Once all of the moisture is gone, add basil and take off heat. Set aside.
2. Break apart goat cheese into 1/2 inch pieces, then cut avocado into the same size chunks.
3. Crack your eggs into a bowl and beat them until fluffy. Set aside.
4. Grease a baking dish and begin to assemble. First, spread avocado on the bottom. Follow with the spinach/onion mixture, and then the goat cheese. Now just pour the eggs over the top.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, keeping a close eye. You want it to be brown on the edges, and almost set up in the middle. Grate parmesan over the top and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Enjoy!